Cathedral-Basilica of Nuestra Seņora del Pilar de Zaragoza
The Cathedral-Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar in Zaragoza is a major Baroque church of Spain. According to tradition, this is the first Marian shrine of Christianity, since it is preserved and venerated pillar-indeed, a column of jasper, which was released by the Virgin Mary who, still living in Jerusalem, it would have appeared in the flesh the apostle Santiago on January 2 of year 40. Documentarily no evidence as recorded in the tradition, details of which date from 1297, in a bull of Pope Boniface VIII 1299-and-a statement of Sworn Zaragoza - where for the first time the title of "Santa Maria del Pilar" is attested after the launch in 1293 of bishop Hugo Mataplana rehabilitation of the building that threatened ruin, thanks to donations prompted by the aforementioned papal bull.
The documented history of the temple dates back to the ninth century, when according to the transfer history of St. Vincent de Aimoino, the existence of a Mozarabic church dedicated to St. Mary Saraqusta in the same place where today the baroque basilica is attested . Around this temple articulated a community of Christians in the city.
Architecturally, the temple is divided into three naves of equal height, covered with barrel vaults, where domes and vaults of plate resting on sturdy pillars interspersed. The exterior is brick, following the tradition of Aragon brick construction, and interior stucco revoked. The nave is divided by the presence of the high altar under the central dome. The altar is presided over by the great altarpiece of the Assumption Church belonging to the above, made by sculptor Damián Forment in the sixteenth century, following the models imposed Gothic altarpiece neighboring Zaragoza Cathedral Salvador (La Seo). Under the other two elliptical domes of the nave, are provided for the Santa Capilla de la Virgen del Pilar, and the choir and organ, which also came from the Gothic church predecessor. Currently IDPs are to stretch the foot of the temple, to give more space to the faithful who take the ship from the high altar. Pillar holds the rank of cathedral from the Bull of Union of 1676, since sharing the seat of the Archbishop of Zaragoza with the neighboring cathedral, La Seo del Salvador. In 1948, Pope Pius XII granted the title of Basilica. It is also from 2007, one of the 12 Treasures of Spain.