Main theater of Zaragoza
The fans of the theater Zaragoza unfolds from the birth of the city. From TEATRO ROMANO built in the first century, whose remains were found in the street Veronica, to the current location of HOME THEATER, theaters have been part of the daily life of the Ebro Town Back in the days of Caesar Augustus, reserves one of the most central and best communicated to the construction of the largest known hispanorromano theater spaces. Seating capacity of 6,000 seats, in a city of only 18,000 inhabitants, it gives idea of the power of attraction that theatrical performances were in Cesaraugusta, known in Roman times as a great metropolis of leisure and culture for all the troops city in Hispania.
In the sixteenth century, begin to proliferate in the main Spanish cities permanent theaters. In Zaragoza Coso Comedy Corral, administered by Our Lady of Grace Hospital is built. It is the first theater of its kind in our city, and is situated on the present site of the Bank of Spain. After many renovations, the old building was replaced in February 1771 by the new Coliseum Comedies. This building was destroyed by a terrible fire occurred on November 12, 1778, in the representation of The Real Jura Artaxerjes by a company of Italian comedians on tour in Spain. In the tragedy killed 77 people and constituted undoubtedly the blackest page in the history of our city theater. For this reason the authorities banned any scenic display, until a major popular feeling pressured to be built by the architect Agustín Zaragoza Sanz, New, HOME THEATER Theatre today, which opened at the current site on August 25, 1799 .
The HOME THEATER turns throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries a privileged place that brings together the most important theater companies, opera and ballet at the time. Since its founding, the most prestigious names in the global scene have left their mark in the first arena in the city. The HOME THEATER had to adjust to changing times and lived major reforms including those by José Yarza, in 1858; . Ricardo Magdalena, Regino Borobios in 1870 and in 1940 no doubt the most important reform is carried Ricardo Magdalena, inspired by the model plant Scala: a new facade recreates and performs a new interior room, highlighting the mouth of the magnificent scenery and stage curtain painted by Marcelino Unceta. The backdrop is the Temple of Fame, in which immortality, flanked by Tragedy and Comedy appears center. In the side groups, Unceta portrayed the most important authors and actors of Spanish theater.
The reform certainly put the HOME THEATER vanguard in the art of the best performing arts arenas was due to the Spanish architect José Manuel Pérez zaragozano Latorre; in it a new interior layout system, besides giving the theater a large technical infrastructure is configured. The back of the theater was also remodeled, being pedestrianized Plaza José Sinués. Ceiling paintings, works of the Aragonese artists Joaquin Pallares, Dionisio Lasuen, Emilio Fortun Mariano Angel Gracia and Oliver were restored, and a sumptuous hall mural chaired by Manuel Broto. The floor of the ground floor is closed courtyard with a large mural, Jorge Gay painter allegory, visible along with the columns supporting four large sculptures Francisco Rallo. The whole key chairs backstage.
The current HOME THEATER, totally remodeled, opened on May 2, 1987